Monday, November 14, 2016

Friends!


Today, on my initiative Presidium of the Knesset of Israel, approved the review of the resolution on recognition of Holodomor as genocide of Ukrainian people. The parliamentarians will discuss the issue this week. This is an important step, which all Ukrainians deserve, that will unite our two nations.

The way to the resolution was not easy. You know, the Israeli parliament for years could not accept such a resolution. I admit, specifically to convince Israeli MPs, I drove them to the National Museum "Memorial to Holodomor victims." Then, during the mourning activities in honor of the 75th anniversary of the tragedy in Babyn Yar, this visit was the cornerstone. After that, Deputy Speaker of the Knesset Tally Ploskov, Nava Boker and Yehiel Bar, said they now understood why the decision on recognition of Holodomor is vital. Nava Boker, at my request, raised this issue in the Knesset. Now Israel may be the 25th country to officially recognize this tragic crime of the Stalinist regime.

Friends, I am extremely happy to be part of this historic process. I believe because of this decision Ukraine and Israel will become even closer countries. Who else, if not the Israelis who survived the Holocaust, can understand the tragedy of the extermination of Ukrainian by ruthless and bloodthirsty Stalin's regime? We share this grief together. I believe that my actions confirm this, and the actions of the Knesset – as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment